A beautiful, well-groomed lawn is the dream of most homeowners. However, many are frightened by the need to invest laborious labor in its creation. It is not necessary to be afraid of this. The main thing is to start by studying the information on how to properly organize the work on lawn preparation and how to take care of it. And then this idea will enthrall you so much that you want to do everything yourself, without involving specialists.
The more so, and the benefits will be very tangible:
- Aesthetic side: a green, neatly cropped lawn near the house will give the whole territory additional beauty and nobility, especially in combination with tea roses in the front garden. Even the smallest area will look more spacious thanks to the lawn.
- Fresh air, which all households will breathe, will provide sufficient level of necessary oxygen. Especially it concerns the townspeople who during the days off spent at a summer residence, can enjoy ecologically pure “fluids”. It is easier to survive especially sultry days, as the watered lawn maintains a sufficient level of humidity, thus saving from the tiring heat.
Types of lawns and their features
According to their purpose, lawns are divided into 3 types:
- Decorative. Are created on objects of gardening: in parks, squares, on boulevards and about any households.
- Sports. Formed in stadiums, golf courses, racetracks. Such lawns have their own characteristics: they must be resistant to damage, for example, to trampling, and to resist various ruptures. To ensure that the sod is able to withstand such conditions, a special mix of grass mixtures and soil is used, as well as special drainage.
- Special. Are arranged in car parks, slopes of roads, airdromes.
Go to earthworks in the spring. Practice shows that just at this time, when the earth is well moistened, the seeds show a better survival rate. And, this applies not only to the lawn, but also to climbing plants, as well as many flowers, including clinging roses. In the summer it is not necessary to do this, it is better to wait for the warm autumn days. But do not overtighten: before winter comes, the lawn should give 1-2 cuts.
To create a beautiful lawn, it is very important to choose the right place. Listen to advice that will help to correctly place the lawn: Choose areas that are well illuminated by the sun, but with a small amount of shading. Pay attention to the place where a lot of snow accumulates in the winter. Do not arrange a lawn directly under the trees: their roots will take almost all the nutrients from the soil, and the crown will create a lot of shade. For a lawn it is better to choose flat areas or small slopes, the steepness of which does not exceed 30º. You should not also choose a site close to fences with climbing plants or wicket. In the latter case, the track will constantly trample down, and the earth will condense so that the access of oxygen to the grass will soon cease and it will suffocate. If the soil you selected is excessively wet, you’ll have to drain and drain it first.
How to Plant Grass Seed
Lawn planting will require patience and a pedantic approach to business. The whole technology consists of several stages. Consider them in order. The first stage is the preparation of the site. Clean the area of garbage (stones, fragments of bricks, chips, etc.). Destroy the weeds by any means: manually or with the help of herbicides.
The first stage is the preparation of the site. Clean the area of garbage (stones, fragments of bricks, chips, etc.). Destroy the weeds by any means: manually or with the help of herbicides (round, dalapon, reglon). Form a flat surface. You can bring the land, if necessary. Create a drainage of sand and stones, especially if water is trapped on the site. Add fertilizers to improve the structure of the soil (peat, manure). Dug and then loosen the area. Moreover, this technology of preparation of a site perfectly approaches and for cultivation of especially fastidious plants, including roses.
The second stage is the selection of seeds. When the plot is ready, it’s time to tackle the selection of seeds. When choosing a grass mix, remember a few important tips: Do not create a lawn from one kind of grass (3-5). Choose the collection most suitable for your soil type (sand, clay, loam, black soil). The herb mix should consist only of varieties of perennial grass seeds of lawn selection.
The third stage – sowing. Before planting, ground the soil well. You can use a log, a roller for this purpose, or simply tread the surface well until the ground ceases to flow under your feet. Then fan the rakes slightly with the fan rakes. Be careful, determining the rate of seeding (0.8-1.7 ounce per square yard). Remember that in the spring, twice as many seeds are needed for sowing. Sowing can be done manually or using a seeder for this. That the seeds are evenly distributed throughout the site, you need to mix them in half with sand or dry loose earth. Then divide the composition into two parts: one part scatter on the surface, passing along the site, then the second – across. At the end, sprinkle half a centimeter on the ground and again slightly tamper or roll.