You decided to make a flower bed or a garden path, but do not know what to protect them with? The easiest way to do this is through self-made curbs. In this article, we will tell you how to make concrete curbs for flower beds and garden paths with your own hands.
The advantage of such curbs is that they can be of any shape and extent. Once, by protecting a curb or garden path with this curb, you will save yourself the trouble for years to come.
Materials and tools:
- a hammer
- Plywood or thin fiberboard
- Wooden pegs
- Wooden ironing
- Concrete mixing tank
- hand trowel
- Cement-sand mixture
- Liquid colorant for concrete
- Composition for concrete sealing
How to make concrete borders for flower beds and garden paths with your own hands
1) Mark the border on which you plan to place the border. Mark a strip about 4-5 inches wide.
Tip: To make a complex layout, you can use a garden hose or rope.
2) Dig a trench about 4″ deep by marking. Tumble the earth at the bottom of the trench to provide a solid foundation for concrete.
3) At the edges of the trench, hammer wooden pegs in steps of about 20 inches.
4) Screws fix strips of flexible plywood or fiberboard.
Note: You can use hard plywood for straight sections.
5) To ensure clearance between the walls of the formwork was the same, insert small grooves of appropriate length inside the gutter.
6) Mix a rather thick concrete, fill it with the resulting trough. Using a trowel, spread the mixture evenly and compact it.
7) Wait, when excess water will leave the surface, and then level the surface of concrete with a wooden smoothing.
If desired, on the surface of the concrete, you can make a basting, as if your border consists of small sections.
8) Top concrete with a mortar, and then allow it to freeze for 3-5 days.
9) When the concrete hardens, remove the formwork. If there are grooves on the sides of the curb, fill them with soil and tamp them.